NAMIK KEMAL UNIVERSITY
DIPLOMA SUPPLEMENT-BOLOGNA PROCESS
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What is a Diploma Supplement (DS)?
A Diploma Supplement is a document issued as an annex to a higher education diploma in order to provide recognition to academic and vocational qualifications such as diploma, degree, certificate, etc. and to reinforce international transparency. The DS is issued for the holder of the qualification to describe the structure, level, context, and status of the abroad studies pursued and completed successfully. A Diploma Supplement does not include any terms of discretion, equivalence or recognition. As a flexible document that does not impose any rules, it is envisaged to save work and money. It is designed to be adaptable to local needs.
Diploma Supplements are issued according to the standard DS model developed by European Commission, Council of Europe and UNESCO. The DS model developed by these three organizations is issued in all official languages of the European Union.
The Diploma Supplement consists of eight parts
1. Information identifying the holder of the qualification2. Information identifying the qualification
3. Information on the level of qualification4. Information on the content and results gained
5. Information on the function of the qualification6. Additional Information
7. Certification of the supplement8. Information on the national higher education system
All eight parts are to be filled in with the necessary information. Where there is no information in any of the parts, an explanation should be given.
Institutions should follow the same approval and certification procedures with their other official documents.
It is necessary that description of the national higher education system where the holder of the qualification is graduated from be given in the Diploma Supplement. This description can be obtained from National Recognition Academic Information Centres (NARICs).
2. What is a Diploma Supplement NOT?
· It is NOT a Curriculum Vitae
· It is NOT a substitute to a Transcript or a Diploma
- It is NOTan automatic system that guarantees academic or vocational recognition
3. What are the advantages of a Diploma Supplement for higher education students?
4. What are the advantages of a Diploma Supplement for higher education institutions (HEIs)?
5. Why is a Diploma Supplement Necessary?
Today many countries develop several ways of evaluation of success and update their education systems due to rapid economic, political and technological developments and thus, design new diploma and certification means. The increasing number of mobile citizens demand a fair evaluation of their qualification and skills. It has been a global problem that the recognition of qualifications and skills being evaluated wrongly or imperfectly. Since the original diploma and other documents do not include sufficient information, it is quite difficult to make the level and function of the diploma to be accepted without giving a document including detailed information as an annex.
6. The Diploma Supplement has been designed to reduce the following difficulties:
7. Samples of Diploma Supplements